[obol] Re: Coos Gyr, lotsa Cacklers 10/18/2014

  • From: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 11:42:24 -0700

Hi -

Dave is correct that most raptors follow migratory routes mostly over
land.  Many have great unwillingness to cross water, and some seem to
suffer mortality on even modest crossings.  From my years in the Florida
Keys, I have a lot of experience with raptors travelling down the Keys in
fall, and then certain species retracing their course back to the
mainland.  Turkey Vultures, Swainson's Hawks, Broad-winged Hawks, and
Short-tailed Hawks in particular were often seen making these return
trips.  At that time Swainson's and Short-tails were unknown in Cuba, just
90 miles to the south, even though both species were regular moving up and
down the Keys.  I also heard several accounts from boaters of finding
multiple "hawks" floating dead on the water off the keys during the period
of fall migration.  We were never able to find out which species, or
determine causes of death, but evidently for some species, ocean crossings
were very difficult or risky.

This does not apply to Peregrine Falcons, however, as they are well-known
to regularly make long over-water flights.  Merlins also seemed very
willing to head out over the ocean.  Ospreys and Swallow-tailed Kites also
regularly migrate south out of Florida toward Cuba and the Yucatan
Peninsula.   I don't think we know enough about Gyrfalcon movements to be
able to say how willing they are to make long ocean crossings.  I suspect
they are physiologically capable of flying directly from SW Alaska to
Oregon or northern California.  I doubt they regularly try to kill geese
over the ocean, as I imagine they would have difficulty feeding on them at
sea, particularly if the surface was at all rough.

So, the possibility of following geese south remains speculative.  The most
likely alternative explanation for the regular occurrence of Gyrfalcons
with geese in SW Oregon/NW California is that individuals that made it into
that area over land encountered the geese, and made a habit of returning in
subsequent years.  I do not know whether we know ages on many of the fall
birds down here, but if many are adults, return migration would be
supported.  The fall concentrations of Cackling Geese in those areas is a
recent development, so however the Gyrs are getting there, it probably is
recent as well.

Wayne