[obol] more on pelagic peregrines

  • From: Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 08:30:39 -0700

   Just read this on facebook:" We are only 101 Peregrines away from a new
world record at the Florida Keys Hawkwatch! As of today, we have counted 3910
PEFAs for the season, inching ever closer to last year's record of 4010..."A
visit to the official Fb page reveals the above quote to be old, the season's
tally up to 4012 on 10/20 when two Peregrines flew by at once.
     This thread started as a discussion of raptor migration strategies. I now
offer two tangents: When I was in grade school, the difference between
California Condor and Peregrine was slim--I never expected to see either of
them in the wild. By the time my children were in grade school I was not
allowed to stop for eagles, at least not Bald Eagles. My kids just found them
boring.
    The second thought--"raptor" is a term describing a life style, not a
cladistic relationship. Most of us grew up with and all of us own field guides
recognizing "Falconiformes". This order included eagles, hawks, ospreys, as
well as falcons. We now know that falcons are much closer to parrots and not
related to hawks at all. So what is the name of the order falcons are now
classified by? What human construct do we impose upon them? And do Caracaras
and Lammergeiers get to join the party too? What is the name of the order
covering eagles, hawks, and ospreys?
    Alan Jenkins posted a link at 4:53 yesterday that is well worth the time.
About 50 satelite transmitters were placed on Gyrfalcons all over Greenland,
one of which worked for two fall migrations and the time in between--some
failed right away. One male had a breeding season territory on Ellesmere
Island, truly the end of the earth. The next time you see a Thayer's Gull
eating spilled french fries in the Fred Meyer parking lot or Sanderlings
dodging traffic on Clatsop beach, think of how they too could have hatched on
Ellesmere Island and survived the hungry attentions of this long lost cousin of
the parrots.   Lars