[obol] Re: id help requested: Hutton's Vireo or Ruby-crowned Kinglet?

  • From: Jack Williamson <jack.williamson.jr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linda@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 18:16:00 -0800

I like it for Hutton's due to the breadth of the eye ring, overall dark
olive coloring, greenish tinge on the secondaries, and while the angle of
the image makes it difficult to tell for sure - it looks to me like the
telltale black bar across the base of the secondaries (that is indicative
of Ruby-crowned Kinglet) is missing.

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 5:54 PM, Linda Fink <linda@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> While watching this bird through the branches today, I thought it was a
> Hutton's Vireo. But now that I see the only photo I got, it's looking more
> like a Ruby-crowned Kinglet. Would love to have folks take a look and tell
> me what it is and why. Thank you!
>
> http://lindafink-birdnotes.blogspot.com/2015/02/huttons-
> vireo-or-ruby-crowned-kinglet.html
>
> I also saw my first warbler of the year on our farm today, but don't know
> what it is and did not succeed in getting a photo. It appeared white with
> black stripes on the side and a gray back, but it was way up in the top of
> alders along our little creek so I was mostly seeing it's under side. It
> said zit zit when it flew from one tree top to the next. It did not flutter
> around like a yellow-rump does and it stayed at the tops. It appeared to be
> all by itself. I assume it was a Black-throated Gray as that's what we see
> here in the spring/summer, but I'd like to know if there are other
> possibilities. It was a very non-colorful Black-throated Gray if that's
> what it was. But I never got a good look at the head.
>
> Linda, southwest Yamhill county in the Coast Range foothills
> --
> http://lindafink.blogspot.com/
> http://lindafink-birdnotes.blogspot.com/
> http://fffwildflowers.blogspot.com/