[obol] Bend - Alfalfa Raptor Survey

  • From: "Kim Boddie" <kcboddie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "COBOL sightings" <cobol@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "OBOL Sightings" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 18:23:19 -0800

Four sets of eyes are better than one.  Today, Judy Meredith, Todd Alleger, and
Gary Kramer joined me on our record breaking Bend - Alfalfa Raptor Survey.  We
drove the route under mostly clear skies, calm to light winds and temps   26 to
49 degrees F.  We ended with a total of 167 raptors with the previous record
from Nov. 2004 at 114.  We totaled 140 Red-tails with the previous record at 90
for this route.  We spotted a large percent of the Red-tails flying as pairs at
all heights.  A lot of the regular birds I usually see on the route were
perched or soaring close to there usual locations, I have a lot of them named.
 I suspect that a lot of birds were either moving through or were soaring above
there regular winter locations but were out of sight from the roads while
perching.

The Red-shouldered Hawk was again present at the corner of Johnson Ranch and
Horsell roads.

We ended up with 10 species with Northern Harrier as the main one we missed.
We also saw over 100 Ravens and Mountain Bluebirds were numerous is some
locations.

Red-tailed Hawk                140
American Kestrel               13
Bald Eagle                            5A
Golden Eagle                        1
Rough-legged Hawk             1
Ferruginous Hawk                1
Red Shouldered Hawk         1
Prairie Falcon                       3
Sharp-shinned Hawk            1
Coopers Hawk                      1
unid. Buteo                            1
Unid Accip.                            1

Kim Boddie
Bend