[obol] Re: historical Willamette Valley - Badgers & Rattlesnakes

  • From: Romain Cooper <romain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oregon Birders OnLine" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 13:28:02 -0800

Re: Rattlesnakes It's my (informed?) opinion that the dearth of Western Rattlesnake (Croatis viridis) in the Willamette Valley (& elsewhere) has as much to do with "persecution" as with habitat change. Loss of grasslands & oak woodlands to intensive agriculture and young closed canopy conifer habitat is surely a factor but western rattlesnakes can handle a variety of habitats and prey species (rodents, etc.) are relatively abundant. Unfortunately, humans think this species of snake is much more dangerous than the reality (though people occasionally get bit and it is a serious health situation). It is likely extirpated from much of northern Willamette Valley which is in its historic range. I highly recommend "Reptiles of the Northwest" (Alan St. John, 2002, Lone Pine Press) for anyone interested in Oregon's reptiles.

Re: Badgers Badgers in Oregon appear to be historically relegated to the Cascades and eastward and most commonly on the east side of the Cascades. Historic and present range are (may be ?) similar. I see no mentions of historic west side interior valley populations (Willamette, Umpqua, Rogue) in the references I've located (including Ingles, Maser, Verts & Carroway, & Vernon Bailey - 1936). I find it somewhat odd that in California, starting in Humboldt County & extending south, Badgers have ranged and currently still range all the way to the coast. https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=83762

True that there is more grassland and other open habitat types in coastal / western CA. But the interior OR valleys and adjacent "foothills" historically had grassland and open habitats that I'd think a Badger could utilize. ??? Perhaps they once were there?

At 10:42 AM 12/29/2014, bwilson@xxxxxxxx wrote:
Re: Rattlesnakes in WV.  A few years ago colleague who spends a lot of
time out and about found a rattlesnake (no real reason to think
non-native) near the base of Rock Hill (between Eugene and the first rest
area north on I-5).  He says it's the only one he's ever seen on the
valley floor.  There's been no obvious change in the habitat since then.

-- Barbara Wilson

> Jeff & all,
>
> The historical reports of nesting-season Burrowing Owls come mainly from
> hillsides which would have been less vegetated, for example Peterson
> Butte.
>
> I think that Darrel's second-hand account from Mr. Cox still speaks
> volumes about how far removed our own personal experience is from that
> landscape.
>
> It would be interesting as supporting evidence to hear when was the last
> sighting of a BADGER in the Willamette Valley. I know there are still a
> few BLACK-TAILED JACKRABBITS around, mainly in the Bellfountain area.
> The native PACIFIC RATTLESNAKES are severely diminished and most recent
> reports (such as around Wren) may reflect releases of non-native
> rattlesnake species.
>
> Good birding,
> Joel

Romain Cooper