[obol] grouse? crossbills? shorebirds?

  • From: "Paul Sullivan" <paultsullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <cobol@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 06:50:20 -0700

Folks,

Carol & I went out into the foothills and Coast Range of Yamhill county
three days last week.  We found no grouse, no Mountain Quail.  We found 2
(count 'em - 2) Red Crossbills, our first of the year.  We also found our
FOY Hairy Woodpecker (wooo-hoo!).  We did enjoy Gray Jays and Hermit
Warblers.

We couldn't get in at Sheridan sewage ponds because they had inmates from
the prison working last week.  At Yamhill sewage ponds we found NO
shorebirds, not even a Killdeer.  NO shorebirds in the woods either.

So yesterday we went to the coast.  We visited Pacific City, Tierra del Mar,
Whalen Island, Netarts Bay, Oceanside, Little Beach, Cape Meares, Fenk Road,
Bay City oyster plant, Miami Cove, the Three Graces, and Barview jetty.  Net
shorebirds: ~8 Least Sandpipers at Whalen Island and 50 Western Sandpipers
at Bay City.  NO OTHER SHOREBIRDS.  Shorebird deficit disorder.

We looked for Tufted Puffins at Pacific City's Haystack Rock, and at the
view of Three Arch Rock from Oceanside and Cape Meares.  Maybe we saw a
silhouette of a "football with wings" at Pacific City.

Oh, for a county with shorebird habitat.  If you got 'em, enjoy 'em.

Good birding, everyone,

Paul & Carol