[obol] going coastal

  • From: Tom McNamara <tmcmac67@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2013 22:02:21 -0700

OBOL,

Bobby Wilcox and I also each had a ladle of Rusty Blackbird dipping sauce
as sampled and reported by others today. Taste didn't linger too long as we
drove west into the emerging sun.
By the time we got to Tillamook it was time for the Raybans. Yes! Weird,
reverse weather...which I'll take.
Had a fun time hitting some spots a bit N, then S, then W of Tillamook.

At the  Bayocean oyster place we saw  Common Loons, Horned and Western
grebes and a bunch of Olympic, some Western and some GW gulls, I Cal.

Barview Jetty yielded surfbirds, bl. turnstones and another soupcon of
dipping sauce for the unfound Rock Sandpiper (of several days ago).

Decamped for Sandlake and quickly found the vocalizing Tropical Kingbird. A
massive blackbird flock there didn't turn up yet another Rusty but we were
somewhat desultory rather than scrutinizing in our effort with them.

Back up Tillamook way we went out to Rain River (aka Tillamook Bay Wetland)
and saw gobs of (my FOS) Sooty Fox Sparrows and such, tooted 'em up.  I had
told Bobby on the way in that it'd been a bit of a while since I'd seen a
White-tailed Kite in OR and that the habitat here is prime for such a bird.
Obligingly, sir Elanus was perched finial-like on an edgewater spruce. A
mystery vocalization at dusk was audio- captured and investigation is
pending.....a report, if merited, on that later.

good birding,
Tom