[obol] Monmouth Rusty Blackbird Photos

  • From: Brandon Wagner <bmwboarder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oregon birding online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Midvalley Birding <birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2013 21:52:30 -0700

Hey Friends,

I was able to re-find the Rusty Blackbird again with Bill Tice after
grabbing my camera from home.  Here are a few photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wagnerlife/10619762103/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wagnerlife/10619521456/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wagnerlife/10619517536/

Although it is fun to speculate about this being the same bird from the
north, they do not look much the same to me.  This one has a much more even
colored chest without any dark speckling and more rusty edges on its
sides.  I have a few other photos if anyone wants to see any other angle
for any reason.  Quite fun to chase this bird around today.  I really
almost passed it up as a weird Brewer's Blackbird.  Luckily my wife was
patient with me while I went back for a second look after we were done
walking around together, and that is when I saw it in better light and
started to get really excited.

A full list of what I saw this morning can be seen here: (including
Canvasback and Black Phoebe)

If I were to look for the bird again in the morning, I would check the
muddy area just to the left inside the gate (Where I saw it last).  If not
in the area there, I would walk around the loop counter clockwise, keeping
an eye on the bushes and the waters edge.  If a lone bird flies from the
water to the bushes, that could be it.  It did fly across the water fairly
often and is light colored enough it can be picked up even at a good
distance.  Good luck if you look for it!

Cheers!
Brandon Wagner
Independence