[obol] Re: explanation of the extra lift birds get flying in V formation

  • From: "Richard W. Musser" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "mussermcevoy@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: "rflores_2@xxxxxxx" <rflores_2@xxxxxxx>, "dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2015 17:52:34 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Bob,     I have watched leaders change at the vee tip, and have wondered if
the energy required to fly is gradually reduced along the vee----making it
easiest for those at the vee ends. Just a thought. Best regards, Dick Musser (4
mi. NW of Vale)

     On Tuesday, February 3, 2015 10:42 AM, Bob <rflores_2@xxxxxxx> wrote:

 Stephanie,
Richard is correct but an addition is the strongest, mature, birds do "break
the wind" but when the time comes to rest they fall to the end and a new leader
takes over.  Often the oldest and youngest birds are in the middle.  This
strategy also provides the educating of the younger birds on where to go during
migration.
Bob FloresRidgefield, WA

Sent from my iPad
On Feb 3, 2015, at 09:02, Richard W. Musser <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Stephanie,     As I recall, the geese at the end of the vee (not the tip),
are invariably immatures, and aren't likely as strong as the adults.  I've
never seen immys at the tip, maybe because they lack experience to know the
way, maybe also because they aren't strong enough. Best regards, Dick
Musser(4mi. NW of Vale)

     On Tuesday, February 3, 2015 9:11 AM, Stephanie Hazen
<stephaniehazen17@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

  http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-31060155Check out this BBC video
on the hows and whys of birds flying in V formationStephanie