[obol] eBird data entry - a warning (no sightings)

  • From: Stefan Schlick <greenfant@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2014 02:36:33 -0400

While looking through the cumulative checklist for the eBird hotspot Emma Jones
Nature Preserve in Hillsboro (ok, I'm pretty much the only person birding
there), I noticed that there were 3 species that I had never seen there:
Pileated Woodpecker, Hermit Warbler and I now can't remember the third.
Somewhat annoyed (after filing 300+ lists for Emma Jones) I then went into the
check lists to see who had filed the report and noticed that it was - who would
have guessed - me. What had happened was that I was "one row off". I filed 4
Hermit Warblers instead of 4 Yellow-rumped Warblers. The Pileated Woodpecker
ended up being a Northern Flicker. I corrected the data meanwhile.
The point of this story is that you should take the data entry for your eBird
report seriously. It is very easy for your input to slip one row up or down.
Review it carefully to confirm what you saw. Don't do what I did, just entering
the report and hit "send".
Stefan SchlickHillsboro, OR