[obol] coast birds - COMMON EIDER yes

  • From: Alan Contreras <acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 19:29:13 -0700

I went to Coos Bay with Luke Ferrenburg and Sean Burns today to see if we
could see the Common Eider.  We did.  As the tide came in it floated off and
joined a flock of Surf Scoters, with which it had moved perhaps a
quarter-mile upstream in half an hour.

Other highlights were an Osprey and nine Brown Pelicans at Charleston, a
couple of singing Orange-crowns at Cape Arago (also singing Townsend's and
Y-rump there), and a PALM Warbler at the sewage plant.

Florence had two fully enplumed and hornulated RHINO Auklets between the
base of the jetties, a few pelicans and a very colorful RED necked Grebe.

--
Alan Contreras
Eugene, Oregon

acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx