[obol] Re: [birding] Western Yellow-billed Cuckoo listing decision - correction

  • From: Joel Geier <joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2014 10:42:25 -0700

Hi again,

In my previous posting I attributed some comments to the Washington
Department of Natural Resources:

        They also mentioned a couple of other habitat types found in
        western Washington and Oregon, that had not been fully
        recognized as potential cuckoo habitat in the draft listing
        document.

which actually came from Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife.

Both of these Washington state agencies sent in comments, but the
WDNR comments that are mentioned in the USFWS listing document
pertain to this issue:

        ... cuckoos could eventually benefit from riparian habitat enhancements
        that have been undertaken to protect salmonids.

Also, in addition to the states that I mentioned, bits of Montana and
Wyoming are considered to be within the historic range for Western
Yellow-billed Cuckoo. Both of those states sent in comments (basically
to argue that their populations were not significant).

One more tidbit that I noticed while skimming through the state
comments:

New Mexico's Game & Fish department cited e-bird data as providing
evidence against listing Western Yellow-billed Cuckoo as a Threatened
distinct population segment (on the grounds that they could not see a
difference in the timing of migrant observations in eastern vs. western
New Mexico).

This is the first instance I've seen where "citizen science" data have
been used to argue *against* protecting birds as threatened/endangered,
but we should expect it to become much more frequent. Scary stuff.

Good birding,
Joel

--
Joel Geier