[obol] Re: [birding] Out of region: Sparrows on the menu?

  • From: "W. Douglas Robinson" <w.douglas.robinson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "<joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>" <joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 19:54:46 -0700

They've been a delicacy for hundreds of years. They were, in the past, captured
alive and fattened up in captivity for a few days then more or less deep fried
whole in a spicy fat. They're small so one would place the whole bird, hot, in
one's mouth and press to the roof of the mouth without chewing. An explosion of
flavor was followed by realizing one had a mouthful of fine bones, which could
be swallowed, or not.

So, Ortolans are better protected now than anytime in the last few hundred
years but some people's tastes die hard.

Doug