[obol] Re: Yesterday's Contopus

  • From: Owen Schmidt <oschmidt@xxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 12:09:13 -0700

...... is more likely an Olive-sided Flycatcher than a Western Wood-Pewee.

In favor of the ID as an Olive-sided are the heavy steaks on the sides, the
white throat, and the bird did appear fairly large when first seen.  It has a
pretty big bill and the head isn't particularly peaked.   In favor of the
mix-up is the fact that we were looking for the season's first Western
Wood-Pewee, the bird didn't show the white flank tufts of an Olive-sided (they
often do not), the bird showed a lot of yellow on the belly (which at least
some of the field guides do not show for Olive-sided), and Olive-sided
Flycatchers, on their undertail coverts, can show a dusky vee or u-shaped mark
..... absent here.  The bird was silent.  Olive-sided Flycatchers are supposed
to perch at the tip of these branches, but this bird was a few inches down from
the tip.

Lars Norgren reported hearing a possible Western Wood-Pewee at Mt. Tabor
yesterday

I've re-posted the photos under the name Olive-sided Pewee-Flycatcher in honor
of the mixup:
http://oschmidt.net/OwenLSchmidtLLC/CONTOPUS.html

oschmidt@xxxxxxx
Sunday, April 27, 2014