[obol] Wilson's Snipe at Ridgefield WA NWR 3/7/13

  • From: Linda Berkemeier <linda.berkemeier@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2013 08:24:13 -0800

There were 12 Wilson’s Snipe just south of checkpoint #5, eastside of the road.
 They were sleeping against the "bank" of a small water area, looking like
rocks or mud lumps in slightly contrasting color to the surrounding mud and
vegetation.  When they woke and started moving, the identification and count
became much easier.  A single Yellowlegs (sp?) was working in front of them,
and several Gadwall were present where the water was deep enough to accommodate
them.

Duck variety was down from our trip a few weeks ago.  Northern Shovelers were
prevalent; some Northern Pintail.  We saw two Green Wing Teal.  There were 12
male and female Hooded Mergansers in two groups between #8 and #9.  Each group
had a female Bufflehead with it, a mixed grouping that we have observed several
times before, including at Sauvie Island yesterday.

Linda and Tom Berkemeier
Portland

Sent from my iPad