[obol] Small Owls Vocal Past Week

  • From: John Thomas <johnpam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2013 08:32:25 -0800

 A Northern Saw-Whet has been very vocal the past few nights in our woodlot.
Have not spotted the owl on daytime walks near where the owl is calling.
More common GH Owls been calling from the same woodlot the last few nights;
but, in another corner.

On a dog walk last Saturday, I heard a Western Screech Owl on Mt Angel Abbey
Hill. The owl was calling in mid-afternoon from the thick grove of small fir
trees
just below the shrine near top of hill.

Notes indicate we had a Western Screech Owl vocalizing here on March 12th last
year. This seems to be the time the small owls start calling around here...or at
least from my small amount of experience. Bigger owls like Great Horned been
carrying on for months by now.

John Thomas
5 mi NE of Silverton; 3 mi E of Mt Angel