[obol] Why do Barred Owls Persist - My theory - They form strong family bonds

  • From: Jack Williamson <jack.williamson.jr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Oregon Birders Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 22:50:36 -0700

I was able to watch six very active Barred Owls within a 30 square meter
area for one and one-half hours today. The unique aspect about this family
unit is that it contains three (3) adults and three (3) fledglings. Two of
the three adults are believed to be male.  One is a mature adult; the other
is theorized to be a yearling male who never lost its affinity for the nest
site and learned to mimic its father's behavior to care for the female
during incubation and brooding in a way that is acceptable to both adults.

During my visit, it seemed the owls were in near constant communication
with one another. If the adults were not amidst a three-way
(hoo-hoo-to-hoo-ooo, hoo-hoo-hoo-to-whooo-ooo), the eldest fledgling would
be calling for food with its best high-pitched whiny/shriek.
Intermittently, one of the adults would perch outside the nest and issue a
throaty, cluck-cluck-cluck-call to the remaining nestling (we think)
encouraging them to venture outside the comfort/security of the nest to the
dinner table.

We were fortunate enough to watch three prey-handoffs from the presumed
male(s) to the female.

Sixteen Images:

http://www.jack-n-jill.net/blog/2014/4/why-do-barred-owls-persist---my-theory---they-form-strong-family-bonds

--