[obol] White-throated Sparrows at Salish Pond

  • From: sandyleapt@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 21:21:22 +0000 (UTC)

Hi All,

About noon today, I found myself in the vicinity of Salish Ponds and decided on
the spur of the moment to do a lap around the main pond. I found 4 Tan-striped,
possibly first year, White Throated Sparrows. There may have been more, I had a
hard time keeping track of individual birds. They were in a weedy, unmowed
patch of snow berry that is growing between the path and the pond maybe 30 feet
or so west of the parking lot. I ruled out White-crowned, Golden-crowned, and
Savannah Sparrows and landed on White-throated Sparrows because of the bright
tan supercilium, yellow lores and a bright white throat patch flanked on either
side with a smaller white patch that was not quite as bright.

Also present along the trail and on the pond: Black-capped Chickadees, Anna's
Hummingbirds, Mallards, Great Blue Heron, Kingfisher, Gadwall, American Coot,
Pied-billed Grebe and a large flock of Yellow-rumped Warblers that were
flycatching in the swampy ash/willow woods and meadow at the north east corner
of the trail a little past the apartment buildings. Stand on the trail and
listen, then follow the sound, you can't miss them. There were enough warblers
that I would describe them as dripping from the trees.

Merry Migration

Sandy Leaptrott
Northeast Portland