[obol] Fwd: Siletz Bay NWR birding project

  • From: Range Bayer <range.bayer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 15:06:54 -0700

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jack Hurt <jack.hurt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, Sep 28, 2014 at 6:34 PM
Subject: Siletz Bay NWR birding project
To:  [many]

Hi - This note is going out to a list of folks that Dawn V used for
Lincoln City CBC planning.  I expect many of you bird around the
Siletz Bay periodically and may be interested in participating in a
project we have recently started.  If you know other birders that
might be interested, feel free to forward this.

The project is to create a "Bird Abundance Chart and Checklist" for
the Siletz Bay National Wildlife Refuge, similar to the one created
last year for the Nestucca Bay Refuge.  (If you haven't seen that one,
handouts are available at the lower parking lot of the Refuge, or I
could email you the PDF.)  [This PDF is also available through the
"Download the bird checklist for Nestucca Bay NWR" in the right column
at http://www.fws.gov/oregoncoast/nestuccabay/ ]

Most of the Siletz Bay Refuge is currently restricted access, but much
of it can be viewed from public roads or the Bay/tide water, and there
are plans to open up more of the Refuge to the public, so we think
information about species seen there will be useful to visiting
birders.

I will be the focal point for gathering data for this project, and
Dawn Harris out of the Newport US Fish and Wildlife Office will be the
focal point for creating the pamphlet and getting it published.  My
plan is to bird the Refuge twice per month on land, and once per month
by boat.  (Most of the Bay is viewable from Refuge property, so we
intend to count birds seen on the Bay.)  After a year or two of
gathering data, we will create the checklist, based on all relevant
data we can obtain, including previously published material.  If any
of you are interested in participating, that would be great.  I will
be entering species seen in eBird under the "hotspot" Siletz Bay NWR.
There are several other eBird "hotspots" around that area, and if you
use eBird and enter data for any of them I'll be able to easily
include it.  If you don't use eBird, but do keep track of birds seen
and their numbers for each visit, I would take that data any way you
can provide it, and use it to improve the quality of the generated
pamphlet.

If you have any questions feel free to call or email me.

Thanks,
Jack Hurt
jack.hurt@xxxxxxxxxxx
503 789 3256