[obol] White-fronted Geese & migrant Catharus thrushes singing

  • From: Joel Geier <joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 08:18:57 -0700

Hi all,

I've seen four flocks of 200 to 300 Greater White-fronted Geese (so a
total of around a thousand) passing over the vicinity of E.E. Wilson
Wildlife Area, over the past 4 days or so. This is a normal migration
corridor for them. The flocks that I've seen were flying lower than
typical for the long-range migrant flocks, perhaps forced down by
weather.

Brandon Wagner mentioned seeing a large flock over Luckiamute State
Natural Area (Luckiamute Landing) over the weekend, also flying low.
That is only the third record that I'm aware for that site, which is 3
or 4 miles ENE of E.E. Wilson Wildlife Area. The previous instances that
I could find in www.birdnotes.net were "a few" seen at the confluence by
Trent Bray on April 30, 2000, and then a flock of 17 that I saw flying
downriver while the kids and I were camped out near the confluence for
the Migration Count on May 13, 2000. So it's been just about 14 years in
between reports.

On the topic of Catharus thrushes singing:

Hermit Thrushes sometimes sing in the Willamette Valley in late April.
I'm not sure if they should properly be counted as "migrants," or just
as wintering birds that have started to move around prior to migrating
out.

I heard one tuning up at our house just a few days ago (perhaps a
youngster; he didn't seem to have the song fully nailed down yet).
Usually we get several reports of Hermit Thrushes singing during April
or early May. Don Boucher has reported them with some regularity around
Corvallis.

However, my experience with Swainson's Thrushes is fully in line with
Wayne Weber's observation that they don't sing on first arrival. Usually
two or three weeks elapse between the time when the local forest
understory is full of "whit!" calls, and the first airing of that
enchanting song.

Good birding,
Joel

--