[obol] Weird hummingbird (Eugene, Lane County)

  • From: "Anne & Dan Heyerly" <tanager@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 08:52:55 -0700

Two mornings in a row (Monday and Tuesday this week) Anne has briefly seen a
hummingbird at our back yard feeder that is NOT a regular visitor. Both
sightings were very brief, but enough to raise the adrenaline level!

Anne's description:  Same size as an Anna's, tail is all dark and forked, it
flexes (opens and closes) its tail as it hovers (it did not pump or wag its
tail), breast color not seen, back color blue-ish green, top of head and
bill not noted.

She had just turned off the camera that was trained on the feeder this
morning (she was heading to work) when it visited again.  She alerted me to
look at it, but before I could turn my head it was gone.  I was in the
kitchen and not in view of the feeder.

If anyone locally wants to come and sit in our back yard, you are welcome to
do so. We have alerted the neighbors that there may be mid-day visitors.
They (the neighbors) are trained to call 9-1-1 if they see a flat screen
exiting the building!  There are chairs under the patio, and if you quietly
sit with the patio furniture and BBQ grille as a screen, you might have a
chance to see it.  It has been seen visiting the small feeder next to the
fountain.

Now I am going to have some brekky and see if he/she visits again.  My
daytime phone number is 541-228-0513 if anyone has any questions.

Dan Heyerly, Eugene