[obol] Wednesday morning/Eugene

  • From: Donald Schrouder <dcsbird@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 14:08:31 -0800

        The usual group chose to go to the Delta Ponds north of the Valley
River Shopping Center. We started at the NW corner of the back parking lot,
followed the bike path along the river before turning east at the apartment
path over to the central ponds between Delta Hwy and Greenpasture Island road.
Birded the dead end path on the north end of the ponds before working our way
back south to the pond below the new cable stayed bike bridge that goes over
the highway. Many good birds sighted, including a pair of Canvasbacks that we
speculated may have led to the recent reported sighting to the Audubon hotline
of a Common Eider? The pair were both males with quite grayish/white backs and
dark heads and were found slightly north of the new bridge pond. Also had one
Barn Swallow working the waters.  Birds seen:

Greater White-fronted Goose
Cackling Goose
Canada Goose
Wood Duck
Gadwall
American Wigeon
Mallard
Northern Shoveler
Green-winged Teal
Eurasian Teal- one male
Canvasback-2
Ring-necked Duck
Bufflehead
Hooded Merganser
Pied-billed Grebe
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Green Heron
Bald Eagle- 2 adults
Red-tailed Hawk-3
Peregrine Falcon- seen twice, second time carrying off something in its talons
American Coot
Spotted Sandpiper
Long-billed Dowitcher-2
Wilson’s Snipe
Glaucous-winged Gull
Gull species-flyovers
Mourning Dove
Anna’s Hummingbird-many
Belted Kingfisher
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Western Scrub Jay
American Crow
Barn Swallow-1
Black-capped Chickadee
Bushtit
White-breasted Nuthatch-2
Brown Creeper
Bewick’s Wren
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
American Robin
Varied Thrush
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Spotted Towhee
Fox Sparrow-many
Song Sparrow
Lincoln’s Sparrow-3
Golden-crowned Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Red-winged Blackbird
House Finch
Pine Siskin
American Goldfinch
European Starling

Observers: Dennis Arendt, Kit Larson, Dave Brown, Randy Sinnott, Jim Regali,
Scott McNeeley and Don Schrouder.