[obol] Wednesday in Jefferson County The Cove, Rereg and Pelton, Haystack, back roads! ROSY=FINCH top of Round Butte

  • From: "judy" <jmeredit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 19:47:50 -0700

Haystack was the first stop, with a few waterfowl.  No shorebirds, the res
is full of water to the edges.  We had a close Peregrine working on a meal.
On the way out, the bare stubble field next to the KOA had about 200
American Pipits working it. We watched them for a long time hoping a
different individual would appear but it was not to happen. At one point
some of us thought we saw a longspur but it never appeared again. Toward The
Cove and birding the back roads around there, we found Merlin, another
Peregrine at Culver ponds, Dunlin at first pond.  Not much in the
campground. Down in the water near the marina, seven deer were swimming
from  one edge to the other. A long distance swim. From the overlook at
Pelton re=reg we had a few good birds for the day, Pacific Loon, many
Dowitchers, White=fronted geese.  The bird of the day was at the top of
Round Butte, a single ( or a small flock? ) of Gray Crowned Rosy=finch. Most
of us had started down but returned to the top when Tim and Nancy reported
Rosy=finches. We searched around there for at least 30 minutes but were
unable to relocate any. No Turkey Vultures today. Strong winds today.

This report was mailed for Judy Meredith by http://birdnotes.net
Greater White-fronted Goose         4
Canada Goose                      470
Wood Duck                           1
American Wigeon                  30
Mallard
Northern Shoveler                  20
Northern Pintail                       8
Green-Winged Teal                30
Ring-necked Duck                  70
Lesser Scaup                           1
Surf Scoter                            1  from Overlook Pelton re=reg
Bufflehead                            30
Hooded Merganser                2     "         "
Common Merganser              1
Ruddy Duck                         12   old Madras WW ponds
California Quail
Pacific Loon                        1  From overlook Pelton re reg
Common Loon                     1  now I wonder, was there really 1 at
Haystack?
Horned Grebe                      1
Eared Grebe                        14
Western Grebe                       4
Double-crested Cormorant           40+  some each stop
Bald Eagle                          3  two at Haystack and 1 or more Cove.
Northern Harrier                    7
Cooper's Hawk                       1  cove
Rough-legged Hawk               1 near Culver, in a field near one full of
pumpkins
Red-tailed Hawk                    10
American Kestrel                    8
Merlin                                   3
Peregrine Falcon                    2
American Coot                     200
Killdeer                                 2
Dunlin                                   1  edge of first pond Culver WW
ponds
LB/Unidentified Dowitcher   17  distant on muddy edge at Pelton re reg res.
Wilson's Snipe                        3 along canal near Haystack, 2 at    "
"            "
Ring-billed Gull                    10
California Gull                     10
Rock Dove
Eurasian Collared-Dove
Mourning Dove
Belted Kingfisher                      1
Northern Flicker                      10
Western Scrub-Jay                   1 Cove campground
Black-billed Magpie                20
American Crow                       4  near Culver
Common Raven
Horned Lark                             2  with Pipits near Haystack
Mountain Chickadee                  1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet                7  campground Cove
Townsend's Solitaire                1
American Robin
European Starling
American Pipit                          200  bare/stubble field beside KOA
by Haystack
Cedar Waxwing                  flocks from highway near Redmond, Cove
campground
Yellow-rumped Warbler              17
Spotted Towhee                          5
Savannah Sparrow                      3
Song Sparrow                              1
White-crowned Sparrow             x  no big flocks yet.
Golden-crowned Sparrow           x
Dark-eyed Junco                       20
Red-winged Blackbird                1
Yellow-headed Blackbird           2  in feedlot near The Cove.
Brewer's Blackbird
Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch             1  top of Round Butte, gravel edge near
the road. Only seen by Tim and Nancy
House Finch                                 4
American Goldfinch                    2
House Sparrow

Total number of species seen: 68
Birders today, Kim Kathol, Chuck Gates, Tom Penpraze, Sherrie Pierce, Mike
Golden, Diane Burgess, Ted Groszkiewicz, Cathy Beck, Howard Horvath, Tim
Smith and Nancy Abrams, and Judy Meredith.