[obol] Varied Thrushes

  • From: Joel Geier <joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 19:34:21 -0700

Hi Janet & all,

This is unfortunately another example of the limitations of eBird. it's
easy to see what birds eBirders have been finding, but good luck trying
to contact them to ask for more specifics!

Why eBird still makes it so difficult to contact observers directly is a
huge mystery to me, especially as www.birdnotes.net (which was operating
in Oregon 5+ years before eBird) always made this easy, with no evidence
of problems. But that's just how it is. There are eBirders who post bird
sightings under pseudonyms such as "Anonymous eBirder" (actually, I know
who that guy is and yeah, it's a guy).

This whole cloak-and-dagger thing just seems silly if the idea is to
share observations. Let me know if you're still looking for a Varied
Thrush. I've been hearing them regularly at our house adjacent to E.E.
Wilson Wildlife Area, a bit north of Corvallis. It would take more
effort to actually see one, but they're out there.

Good birding,
Joel
541 745-5821

Hi all,

My husband and I are here visiting the Portland area for the week (from
Central Florida). We've already visited the coast and have had lots of
luck, finding 9 lifers including Northern Shrike; White-tailed Kite and
Heerman's Gull.

However, we've had no luck whatsoever with Varied Thrush. According to
eBird, they seem to be all around us and have been reported from almost
every location we've birded. Yet, although we've seen other skulkers and
hard to see birds (Hermit Thrush, Pacific and Bewick's Wren, Brown Creeper)
we've yet to (knowingly) see or hear a Varied Thrush. So, can anyone give
us any tips? Are Varied Thrushes still singing (I suppose not)? Are they
calling? Are they only really active at one particular time of day? Do the
favor some specific habitat that we're missing? I have been assuming they'd
be found in well wooded areas like Hermit Thrushes, but maybe I'm wrong.
Does luck really have something to do with it -- as is some days you can
find 5 and others zero? Is there any particular spot that is really
reliable for the species?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Janet Leavens