[obol] Wasco and Sherman Counties: Trikes and Shrikes

  • From: Bill Bradford <billbradford1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 08:03:28 -0700

We looped around Sherman and Wasco counties last weekend, camping at the
almost-empty Rock Creek Reservoir in Wasco Co. Highlights:

* On Sunday, there was a flock of TRICOLORED BLACKBIRDS on Smock Road at a
marshy area .8 miles south of Rock Creek Road (Wasco County, near Wamic).
We were able to ID by sight ten Tricoloreds amidst the cattails, but
judging from the cacophony it was a much larger flock. There also were
Red-winged and Brewer's BBs in the area, but the sounds of the Trikes
dominated.

* Someone must've flipped the switch on NORTHERN SHRIKES. Not only did we
see our first-of-season bird, but we spotted a total of six over the course
of two days (Gordon Ridge, Kaseberg, and Liberty Roads in Sherman Co on
Saturday; East Wapanitia, Back Walters, and Easton Canyon Roads in Wasco Co
on Sunday).

* On Saturday, we came upon a flock of 120 to 150 AMERICAN PIPITS working a
field next to Bakeoven Road east of Maupin. Several flew up to an adjacent
fenceline and gave us great eye-level views.

* At Rock Creek Reservoir, a male and female EURASIAN WIGEON shared the
water with 28 Common Mergansers, three American Widgeons, and a Bald Eagle.
We also had a BARN OWL in the early evening at the campground. We hear a
lot of Great-horned Owls at night when we're camping, but there's nothing
quite like the screech of a Barn Owl when you're trying to wind down from
the day.

Bill Bradford & Lora Minty
Portland