[obol] Wallowas: Great Gray Owl, Common Redpolls, Gyrfalcon(s), and other fun goodies

  • From: Khanh Tran <khanhbatran@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 04:42:55 +0000

This weekend, we did a whirlwind birding trip to the Wonderful Wow-allowas and
found almost all of the lingering birds that have been recently reported, plus
a few new ones.   We spent 1.5 days combing the known roads for our target
birds and were pleasantly surprised with the results and how birdy it was!
McCully Creek had about 8-10 inches of new snow, and it looked beautiful.   I
will always love winter birding and everything looks so beautiful in this
landscape!

There were several highlights including, seeing possibly, two different
Gyrfalcons in the area.  One was along Leap Lane and the other along the Imnaha
Highway. These powerful, Arctic raptors can have huge hunting territories so,
it is tough to say if there were indeed, two birds.  I surmise that the stake
out bird along the Imnaha Highway, wouldn’t stray far since there is so much
prey and good eatin’ along that area.  I would n’t go far either, if there is a
smorgasbord of Gray Partridge, California Quail, pheasant, waterfowl, and
plentiful rodents around!  Nevertheless, we had killer looks of the bird(s).
As Stefan mentions, the Joseph Gyr, is a reliable one to see-- so GO, soon.  I
am starting to wonder if it is a captive, battery operated bird that some
falconer is having fun with:)

It is always tough to top the sighting of the regal, Great Gray Owl against
lightly falling snow. But I really enjoyed the eye-level looks of the Pine
Grosbeaks and big flock of Gray-crowned rosy-finches feeding and swirling
several feet from us. Surprisingly, there were no Snow Buntings.  There were
lots of Pine Siskins and Evening Grosbeaks, especially in the town of Joseph.

Here is a list of bird species seen on 2/21 and part of 2/22.

GYRFALCON-two birds, one at stake out along the Imnaha Hwy (MP 3) with prey in
its claws, and the other at first light on Golf Course Rd.  Latter bird,
perched really low on fence post, providing great views.

Golden Eagle-Up to five birds along Golf Course Rd, Imnaha Hwy, and Liberty Rd.

Merlin-one bird in town of Joseph

NORTHERN GOSHAWK -adult bird near Starkey Junction Hwy 244

GREAT GRAY OWL-a magnificent bird against softly falling snow along Hwy 3
towards Flora. Lots of good habitat with open meadows.

Northern Pygmy Owl-one bird at McCully Creek

Short-eared Owl –up to three birds along Leap Ln at dusk, with one bird perched
on low fence post right by our car.

Great Horned Owl-several pairs on nest along Hwy 3 and Leap Ln

GRAY PARTRIDGE-five different pairs along Leap Lane and Golf Course Rd.
Pairing up early, normally in big conveys.

SPRUCE GROUSE-a beautiful male near parking lot of McCully Creek Trailhead.

BOHEMIAN WAXWING-small flock of 20 birds near downtown Enterprise

Williamson’s Sapsucker – a drumming bird at McCully Creek

Townsend’s Solitaire-several birds in Lostine and Joseph

LAPLAND LONGSPUR-after scanning multiple flocks of Horned Larks, finally found
a pure flock (~8 birds)  in the distance field on Leap Ln.

AMERICAN TREE SPARROW-several flocks totaling  50-60 birds on Golf Course Rd,
Bird Ln,  Dobbin Rd.  Largest flock about 25-30 birds.

GRAY-CROWNED ROSY-FINCH-150 plus birds feeding right at our feet on Leap Ln.
These spumoni-snowbirds are stunning but what an odd, color combination, but it
works well for them.

COMMON REDPOLL-two birds mixed with small flock of Pine Siskins on Tucker Down
Rd.

PINE GROSBEAK-several flocks at McCully Creek.  One flock of dozen birds (male,
females, and russet form) fed at eye level for several minutes—very fun.

You can never have a bad time in the Wonderful Wow-allowas and even the Thai
food was good:)

I will post photos later as time permits.

Peace, love and good birding.

Khanh Tran

ktbirding.com