[obol] WILLET on the Necanicum Estuary just south of the overlook west of the (Seaside) High school

  • From: Nels Nelson <nelsnelson7@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <OBOL@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2014 22:22:38 -0700

Early this afternoon (in spite of bright sun in my face), I was able to
re-locate the Willet reported by David Bailey and others in the past couple
of days.  It was about 200 meters south of the high school (on the east
bank of the Necanicum Estuary) where David saw it earlier today.

Late this afternoon, I checked the Cove at the south end of Seaside and
among the usual birds (Surfbirds, Black Turnstones) I counted 81 Heerman's
Gulls, resting on the rocks.  I also saw a couple of Heerman's tag-teaming
(following) almost every one of the 7 Brown Pelicans flying over the ocean,
waiting to dive bomb the pelicans when they dove, hoping to rob some of
their catch.

Great sunny day at the beach.

Nels Nelson
Hillsboro