[obol] Re: Visiting Oregon at end of September

  • From: Russ Namitz <namitzr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Freelist <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "cfischeraz@xxxxxxx" <cfischeraz@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 10:14:12 -0700

Craig~
It sounds like you need to take a pelagic trip.  There is one on the 26th (Coos
Bay) which I suspect you won't be able to make and the Oct 4th (Newport) trip
is sold out.
Two excellent places to seawatch along the coast are Boiler Bay Wayside
(between Lincoln City & Newport) and the very end of Cape Arago in Coos Bay.
Alcids and nearshore migrating species are expected, shearwaters = good chance,
jaegers and fulmars are unlikely and don't hold your breath for the truly
pelagic species like storm-petrels & albatross.
Shorebirding in Oregon can be very tricky.  The Coos Bay/Bandon area is good,
but one has to try a lot of different spots, checking here and there depending
on the tide.  Tillamook can also be good, but the same strategy applies.  Fern
Ridge Reservoir (access from Royal Ave) in Eugene can also be quite excellent.
I once found a Thick-billed Murre dead on the beach the year that we had a big
Horned Puffin invasion about 9 years ago.  This species just doesn't seem to
frequent Oregon waters with any regularity.
Best of luck,Russ NamitzMedford, OR