[obol] Union County : 1K+ SANDHILL CRANES

  • From: AVITOURS@xxxxxxx
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 17:22:14 -0400 (EDT)

Birders -
I had a bit of time this morning  before work (4/18, 9 - 10:20), to bird
around Ladd Marsh WMA.  While  traveling east on Wilkenson from Peach Road, I
noticed what I thought at first  was a swarm of Swallows above the fields
north of Wilkenson Road.  I  stopped the truck and I put the binoculars on the
flock, realizing that it was a  huge flock of SANDHILL CRANES.  The flock
seemed to be splitting up and  going separate directions.  I texted Cathy
Nowak and headed over to the  Bank Swallow Colony, where some of the birds were
landing.  I counted 760  SANDHILL CRANES on the ground in the marsh.  There
was another 400 +/-  Cranes in the air and heading north.  I estimated a
total number of birds  around 1,160.  Dave Bronson, Cathy Nowak and Cindy
Frick showed up and we  just stood there and marveled over the spectacle. Here
is my complete eBird  list, with a photo of some of the SANDHILL CRANES in
flight:  http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S17946063
The photo doesn't do  the moment justice.
Good birding,

- Trent
The Bobolink - Linking  Birders & Birds
1707 5th Street