[obol] Umpqua Valley grassland birding opportunity this weekend

  • From: Joel Geier <joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, MidValley Birds <birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Central Oregon Birders <cobol@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2015 20:39:01 -0700

Hi all,

Matt Hunter has been doing a great job of lining up field trip options
for this weekend's Oregon Birding Association meeting in Sutherlin
(Douglas Co.).

An idea that's come up just in recent days is a dawn field trip to some
grassland bird sites just outside of Sutherlin. We're calling it "BBB"
-- "Birds Before Breakfast"

Most of the field trips start at 07:30 but especially with the beautiful
weather that we're expecting, that seems kind of late for birds like
GRASSHOPPER SPARROW and OREGON VESPER SPARROW.

I'm volunteering to lead a 1-hour trip, 5:30 AM to 6:30 AM on Sunday
morning, to get out to some of the spots near Sutherlin that I regularly
survey for the Umpqua Breeding Bird Survey route. I won't guarantee
anything except a stunning, early-morning encounter with Umpqua Valley
grassland birds. But that's something that you won't find anywhere
else.And you can still catch the later field trips.

For more info on the meeting see:
http://www.orbirds.org/

Happy birding,
Joel