[obol] Columbia Estuary Report - 6/4/2015

  • From: Mike Patterson <celata@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, swalalahos <swalalahos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2015 19:36:09 -0700

Columbia Estuary Report - 6/4/2015

I went up Beneke Creek Rd today looking for HOUSE WRENS and found
the pair (presumably) that was photographed on Sunday. They were
acting agitated and one had a beak full of ant parts, so they are
clearly keeping house somewhere near the spot I found them. I had
a pretty good butterfly day up there as well with lots of WESTERN
MEADOW FRITILLARIES and CLODIUS PARNASSIANS plus a single SILVER-
SPOTTED SKIPPER presumably there to enjoy the BIG DEER VETCH.

Over the weekend the folks for the Oregon2020 project blitzed the
county. Unusual species included a YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT up Beneke
Creek (at a spot I didn't get to today) and LAZULI BUNTINGS at Youngs
River and near the county line along Howard Jones Rd.

Wireless Rd has been attracting quite a few BALD EAGLES lately. Linda
Perkins counted over 60 on Tuesday and I found 32 on the Bay nearby at
low tide Wednesday. There also nearly 200 COMMON RAVENS there as well.
They've come to feast on crab and shrimp waste being spread on the
pastures.

Those interested in photos I took today (including HOUSE WRENS) can see
them at:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mbalame/archives/date-posted/2015/06/04/?view=md

--
Mike Patterson