[obol] Tualatin River NWR field trip

  • From: Max Smith <oregonmax@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2014 14:15:53 -0700

Today Sarah and I led an Audubon Society of Portland field trip to Tualatin
River National Wildlife Refuge in Washington County. We walked the trail
from the visitor center to the wetland observation deck and back. Here's
what we found:

Cackling Goose
Canada Goose
Gadwall
American Wigeon
Mallard
Northern Shoveler
Northern Pintail
Green-winged Teal
Ring-necked Duck
Greater/Lesser Scaup
Bufflehead
Great Blue Heron
Turkey Vulture
Osprey
Northern Harrier
Cooper's Hawk
Bald Eagle  (Adult was feeding nestlings in their big oak tree nest.)
Red-tailed Hawk
Virginia Rail (Was heard calling close to the wetland observation deck.)
American Coot
Killdeer
Greater Yellowlegs
Eurasian Collared-Dove
Vaux's Swift  (Our first of the year)
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
American Kestrel
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Barn Swallow
Black-capped Chickadee
Bushtit
Brown Creeper
Bewick's Wren
American Robin
European Starling
Orange-crowned Warbler
Common Yellowthroat
Yellow-rumped Warbler  (We saw at least a dozen yellow-rumps, both Myrtle
and Audubon's. Most were Audubon's,)
Spotted Towhee
Savannah Sparrow
Song Sparrow