[obol] Fern Ridge and Finley birds yesterday (repost due to Yahoo problems)

  • From: Hendrik Herlyn <hhactitis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Midvalley Birding <birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2014 13:55:04 -0700

Hello all,

My apologies if some of you may have seen this message already. Due to the
recent problems with Yahoo Mail accounts, outgoing messages from me may or
may not have made it to the list, so I am posting this again, now that I
have switched to a new email provider.

Oscar Harper and I birded with Adrian Hinkle and Thomas Meinzen at Fern
Ridge (Royal Ave.) yesterday (Sat, April 12) afternoon. Thomas already
mentioned some of the birds we saw. Overall, water levels were rather high
and shorebird numbers disappointingly low.

Our highlights included:

Greater White-fronted Goose: a couple of small flocks
Cinnamon Teal: 20+
American White Pelican: 30
American Bittern: 1 (heard)
Sora: 1 (heard)
Black-bellied Plover: ca. 100 (seen by John Sullivan; we were able to see
about 20-30 of those at a great distance, plus one close flyover)
Dunlin: 200+
Least Sandpiper: 25-30
Long-billed Dowitcher: a few small flocks
Purple Martin: 1
good numbers of Common Yellowthroats and Yellow-rumped Warblers (both
Myrtle and Audubon's), and several Orange-crowned Warblers

On the way back to Corvallis, Oscar, Adrian and I stopped at Finley NWR.
Our best birds there were 3 YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRDS at the Bruce Rd.
scrape pond, and at the Conservation Wetland along Finley Rd. we found 1
LESSER YELLOWLEGS with 4 GREATERS and a small flock of LEAST SANDPIPERS
with about 30 DUNLIN.

Happy Spring Migration

Hendrik

Hendrik G. Herlyn
Corvallis, OR

*"Nature is not a place to visit. It is home."     -- Gary Snyder*