[obol] Tons of terns

  • From: Mike Patterson <celata@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'OBOL' <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, swalalahos <swalalahos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 19:17:12 -0700

The southwest winds brought the small _Sterna_ terns in near shore
today.  My best best estimate is something approaching 200 birds
all together.  I was able to pick out at least three ARCTIC TERNS
and a solid majority of no fewer than 75 COMMON TERNS.

SOOTY SHEARWATERS were off in the distance.  I also saw a flock
of HORNED GREBES (5 total).

ELEGANT TERNS are still hanging out in numbers at the Hammond Boat
Basin, but I managed to miss Caspian Terns for the day.

There are two PEREGRINES working the South Jetty (a very dark male
and another, larger, intermediate bird).  A third falcon was at
the historical being harassed by AMERICAN PIPITS.

--
Mike Patterson
Astoria, OR