[obol] Re: Toledo Tufted Duck--No on March 2; Yes--Black Phoebes

  • From: Range Bayer <range.bayer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Lincoln Co. Birding & Nature Observing" <LCBNO@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2013 15:38:10 -0800

Hi,

Bob Olson and I unsuccessfully looked for the Tufted Duck this
morning.  We also saw Wayne Hoffman, who at the time we saw him had
not yet seen the Tufted Duck today, though he had a few days ago in
about the same area where others had seen it (see email below with
directions).  But we did find a Black Phoebe actively flycatching from
shrubs over or near the water on the west side of Olalla Slough and
west of the electric substation along Sturdevant Road.  We also found
an odd-looking Canada Goose with a mostly white head and white flecks
in a mostly black neck; we were unable to see its leg color.  There
were lots of Canada Geese, American Wigeon (but we missed on Eurasian
Wigeon), Green-winged Teal (but we missed on Eurasian Teal), and
coots; some Northern Pintails, Hooded Mergansers, Buffleheads, Great
Blue Herons; 2 Gadwalls, 2 Pied-billed Grebes, 1 female Ring-necked
Duck, 1 female scaup, and 1 Great Egret.

Sturdevant Road traffic (including many semi trucks) near Olalla
Slough seemed heavy, and as others have noted pullouts are scattered.
So care is required in birding.

We returned to Newport along Yaquina Bay Road, and while Bob was
watching for traffic, I saw another Black Phoebe flycatching over
water from a shrub at Boone Slough.

At Boone Slough and at Nute Slough to the east, we also found 6
vociferous Greater Yellowlegs and 8 Dunlin feeding along the Yaquina
Bay channel, about a dozen Ring-necked Ducks, Buffleheads, American
Wigeon, a subadult Bald Eagle perched high on a ridgetop snag, and an
adult Bald Eagle flew closely by us.

At River Bend, we found another Great Egret.

Black Phoebes are showing in Lincoln Co. more than in past winters and
had been found at several locations (Beaver Creek, Ona Beach, Hidden
Valley between Toledo and Newport, and Lincoln City).  The 2
additional sites today suggest that they may be even more widely
dispersed.  Patient looking where there are shrubs near or over water
may find even more.

Range Bayer, Newport, Oregon