[obol] Hybrid Duck, Dixonville, Douglas Co.

  • From: Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2013 15:40:39 -0800

Hi Folks,
  Yesterday, 1 March 2013, Bob and Jeannie Pollock found and photographed
this duck on a small pond just east of the Dixonville Store, east of
Roseburg, Oregon. WOW what a beauty. Following is part of their post to the
Umpqua Birds yahoo list (groups.yahoo.com/group/umpquabirds):

"It was with a group of four Northern Shovelers (I male and 3 females). The
posterior half of the duck looked just like a shoveler, and the bill was
slightly expanded at the tip but not as big as a shoveler bill. The duck
was about the same size as the shovelers. Its head showed green or purple
iridescence depending on which way the sun shown on it, and the head was
much more rounded than that of the shovelers. It was feeding in the typical
dabbler fashion. "

Looks like possibly a Northern Shoveler x Blue-winged Teal hybrid based on
a number of features, but that is just my guess. I am not a waterfowl
breeder, geneticist, etc. I have seen somewhat similar photos of hybrids
thought to be this combination, but the cheek patch is different than
photos I've seen of other presumed hybrids. Some people have called similar
plumages a cross of shoveler with Cinnamon Teal. Anyway, I and we would be
interested in any other insight or opinions.

With the Pollock's permission, I have placed two of their best photos on my
flickr site:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthewghunter/

Comments welcome, on OBOL and/or on the flickr site. Thanks.

Matt Hunter
Melrose, OR