[obol] This morning at Ankeny NWR - 10/29/14

  • From: Lillian <lillian.e@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 14:08:06 -0700

Hello Birders!

Lots of activity at Ankeny this morning...

Before I begin my list I want to apologize to all of you who are able to
identify all the local birds with so much accuracy. I am very impressed with
your knowledge! I am afraid my list may be frustrating for you because I won't
list something unless I am VERY sure what it is and sometimes I'm not sure...
For example I am able to ID a Canada Goose, but I can't say for sure what
species of Canada Goose. ~ I am very sorry for the "general" ID on some of
these birds, but that's the best I can do. I actually saw quite a few birds
that I couldn't even get into a general category.

That being said... here is my list for 10/29/14 at Ankeny NWR

Killdeer
Canada Goose (multiple species)
Greater White-fronted Goose
Pintail Duck
Mallard Duck
Green-winged Teal
Gulls
American Coot

Pied-billed Grebe
Scrub Jay
Several varieties of tiny shorebirds
Wigeon
Northern Shoveler
Great Egret

all dark eagle (Golden Eagle or juvenile Bald Eagle)
Belted Kingfisher
Bufflehead
Brewer's Blackbird

"stinking" Starlings
Ruddy Duck
Northern Harrier

Ring-necked Duck
Mature Bald Eagle
Gadwall
Morning Dove
Dove (not a Morning Dove)
Robin
Swan - FOS - single native swan at Eagle Marsh

I apologize again for not being able to give better IDs on a few of these
sightings, especially the swan!

Good Birding One and All!
Lillian