[obol] Salem Surf Scoter, 10/29/2014

  • From: Roy Gerig <roygerig@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 13:52:48 -0700

After observers in Linn, Benton and other inland counties have been seeing good
seabird county birds, they may be showing up here in Marion as well,  a day or
two later.  The small numbers of scoters, etc that show up inland during and
after fall storms, this kind of sighting does not seem biologically
significant, but it is a fun part of the game we play as birders.
There was a female SURF SCOTER on the pond in front of Lowe's Home Improvement
by the Salem Airport at 10 this morning.  She was moving around the pond a lot.
 I cannot recall right now if I've ever seen the species in Marion County.
Also 3 WESTERN GREBES, 2 HORNED GREBES.
I looked for the Red-throated Loon that I saw yesterday across the freeway from
there, behind Kelly's, and did not see it.  There were at least 4 WESTERN
GREBES.
Roy Gerig, Salem OR