[obol] Swainson's Starling and odd hummer

  • From: Brandon Green <brandon.green18@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2014 17:07:33 -0700

This morning, I heard a strange take on a Swainson's Thrush song.  Looked
up towards the source and saw a starling perched at the top of a cedar a
couple of yards away.  It imitated the first half pretty well, but
struggled getting those trailing notes to sound authentic.  The local
starlings have also been using Steller's Jays and WW Pewee calls pretty
frequently over the past week, which has been a little annoying because
Steller's Jays have actually been present (unusual here) and a very early
pewee wouldn't be out of the question right now.

Yesterday, I had an unusual small hummer at the feeder.  My first thought
was a female Calliope, but its tail was too long and the buff coloring on
the underparts was too heavy and restricted to the flanks.  It was also too
small to be a Broad-tail.  My best guess is a second-year female Rufous
without a concentrated gorget spot.

Brandon
Eugene