[obol] Surf Scoters at Foster

  • From: "Jeff Harding" <jeffharding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 15:36:29 -0700

This morning, at 10:00 am, there were 10 Surf Scoters near the Dam on Foster
Lake.  Around 10:15 they flew off toward the east end, and I did not see
them again. I counted them in flight, and they showed no white in the wings,
so I'm confident they were not the WW Scoters that Russ saw this morning,
which I did not find. As Russ mentioned, there were two Horned Grebes, and
the Bonaparte's Gull was with a group of larger gulls lounging by the boat
ramp on the north side of the lake.

At Lewis Creek Park, there was a Western Flycatcher (presumed Pacific-slope,
but I did not hear it call, so I can't rule out Cordilleran).

There were a fair number of Common Loons, a good number of Western Grebes,
but I could not find any Clark's Grebes or more unusual Loons.

I was there from about 9:30 to 2:00, Circling the lake, and missed Russ as
well as his WW Scoters. Foster Lake is big, and it would be easy to miss
something on the other side.

Good birding,

Jeff