[obol] Osprey eating fish (Bass?) + Black Phoebe: Delta Ponds

  • From: Priscilla Nam Hari Kaur <priscillanhk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Priscilla Nam Hari Kaur <pnhks55@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 16:16:06 -0700

Dear OBOL readers;

Most Ospreys are supposed by be gone by the end of the first week of
October, according to eBird bar graphs, but one I saw yesterday at Delta
Ponds along the river bike path was happily picking away at a pretty nice
sized fish which I think was a Bass.  Meanwhile I was happily snapping
photographs. You can see one at the link below, or below that photo click
on a link to a 15-photo slideshow. Warning, things begin to get closer up
and more red by the ending.

We at BOGS have continued to see the occasional Black Phoebe at the central
Delta Ponds area east of Goodpasture Island Rd. We saw one there on Aug 28,
and another on October 23. Others have reported them at this location this
Summer as well.  I got a decent photograph of this last one. Scroll down
below the Osprey picture + link to see the Phoebe.

Scroll down further if you want to see better photographs of the Acorn
Woodpecker we saw on the hill behind Lane Community College main campus
back on Sept 25. Since anyone last took a look at those, I have replaced my
poorly exposed ones with two much better photographs taken by Don Laufer on
that day.  Don goes with our BOGS groups on our bird walks,  and he has
been contributing the Lion's share of very fine photos for us for most of a
year now. Especially this past Summer when I was more involved with helping
to ID the birds we were seeing.

http://priscillanhk.com/birds-of-interest.html

Enjoy!

Priscilla Sokolowski