[obol] Sturgeon Lake shorebirds, Sauvie Island

  • From: Wink Gross <winkg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 13:53:46 -0700

The dog and I went out to The Wash (Columbia Co.) this morning.  Shorebirds are
back, big time.  I counted 340 LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS, 10 BLACK-BELLIED
PLOVERS, a GREATER YELLOWLEGS, and about 100 peep, sp.  There was also an
immature SNOW GOOSE and a lot of AMERICAN PIPITS.

We then walked SSW from The Wash along the shore of Sturgeon Lake.  I counted
at least another 275 dowitchers, about 50 yellowlegs of both species, 15
PECTORAL SANDPIPERS, 85 GREG EGRETS (no SNEG), and another 100 or so peep sp
(mostly WESTERN SANDPIPERS).  A PEREGRINE FALCON came in to break up the party,
but many of the shorebirds stuck around while the falcon was perched on some
driftwood.

Heading back up north to check out The Wash, again, we ran into Dennis Manzer
and Jim ?. Dennis spotted a COMMON TERN perched on some driftwood.  Another
PEREGRINE was perched nearby.   No sign of the Sabine’s Gulls today.

Tomorrow is the last day to get out there before the whole area closes for the
next 7 months.  Go for it!

Wink Gross
Portland