[obol] Stayton Lewis' Woodpeckers (Linn County)

  • From: "Jeff Harding" <jeffharding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2014 16:44:28 -0700

Mitch Ratzlaff found a Lewis' Woodpecker on Kingston-Jordan Road about a
month ago, on March 7. I stopped there a few weeks ago and failed to detect
any, but I looked right around Queener Road. Today I stopped further south,
past the Wisner Cemetery, in a nice bit of oak savannah. They were not
obvious at first, but the oak grassland was so nice I hung around for about
an hour, enjoying the calls of Acorn Woodpeckers, Western Meadowlarks and
White-breasted Nuthatches on a balmy afternoon. Several cock pheasants
called, from different directions, and one ran across a bit of meadow. I
suspect the population is augmented by releases, since there was a sign,
'hunting by lease only". Anyway, after a while, two Lewis Woodpeckers
appeared, and there may have been three. They were interacting, and one may
have performed a display filight.

This location is not far from The Nature Conservancy's Kingston Prairie
Perserve. Read about that here:

http://www.nature.org/ourinitiatives/regions/northamerica/unitedstates/orego
n/placesweprotect/kingston-prairie.xml

good birding,