[obol] Speaking of Denio Junction ...

  • From: Joel Geier <joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oregon Birders OnLine <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 22:10:04 -0700

Hi all,

Looks like the Oakridge CBC will take place on Monday, December 16th,
and the Antone CBC (near Dayville) will be on Friday, December 20th.

What do these two counts have to do with Denio Junction?

Nothing, except that the Summer Lake CBC will be on December 17th and
the Hart Mountain CBC will be on December 18th.

From there, why not attempt an informal half-day CBC on Sheldon NWR in
Nevada on December 19th, then hang a left at Denio Junction, check for
Black Rosy Finches near Mickey Hot Springs on the Alvord Desert, scope
the deep-freeze birds around Seneca, and still have plenty of time to
get to Dayville that night?

Yes, this is all starting to look like a glorious early-winter loop
through some of the less-traveled parts of Oregon (and a bit of Nevada).
I'm planning on making that loop, and will welcome accomplices who are
willing to volunteer on those four counts.

I don't plan on making a side trip down to Winnemucca to check on the
grackles in the Raley's parking lot, but you never know, there could be
one in Denio Junction. Sure beats driving all the way to Astoria!

Happy birding,
Joel

--
Joel Geier