[obol] Re: Sooty or Ruffed Grouse?

  • From: Hendrik Herlyn <hhactitis@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: linda@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2015 13:29:30 -0700

Hi Linda,

Your photos show a Sooty Grouse. One of the key field marks to distinguish
between Sooty and Ruffed Grosue is the band at the end of the tail. It is
pale slaty-gray in Sooty, while Ruffed has a broad black subterminal band
with narrow, buffy tips. In both of your photos, the gray band of a Sooty
is clearly visible.

Ruffed also tends to have a more peaked-looking head, due to its little
crest. Your bird shows the rounded head of a typical Sooty.

The pattern on the flanks is another good indication for Sooty – rows of
white spots on a brownish background. Both sexes of Ruffed Grouse show a
pattern of pretty obvious black and white barring on the sides.

Nice photos!

Hendrik

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 1:12 PM, Linda Fink <linda@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

After searching guidebooks and the web, I sent my photo to two good
birders and got opposite answers. If anyone would like to comment with
reasons, I'd be most grateful.

http://lindafink-birdnotes.blogspot.com/2015/06/sooty-or-ruffed-grouse.html

--
http://lindafink.blogspot.com/