[obol] Re: Sooty Grouse detection - Corvallis area

  • From: Joel Geier <joel.geier@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2014 06:14:17 -0700

Lars Norgren wrote:

>     I'm sure that Sooty Grouse, as well as Gray Jays, have been
> present in the Corvallis CBC circle on count day every time the count
> was held. That's something like 60 counts by now. How many times has
> either species been counted on that day? I'll bet under a half dozen
> times.   Lars

Very close ....

The CBC database shows that Blue/Sooty Grouse and Gray Jay have each
been counted 8 times for the Corvallis CBC, in 52 years from 1962
through 2013. There is also one count-week detection of Gray Jay.

We've only recorded Blue/Sooty Grouse once in the 15-year history of the
Airlie CBC (1999-2013), which is just to the north of Corvallis and
includes Vineyard Mountain, Peavy Arboretum, the northern half of
McDonald Forest, and just about all of Dunn Forest.

This discussion reminds me that this species was the last addition to
Elzy (Merlin) & Elsie Eltzroth's yard list, at their house on Vineyard
Mountain. Here's how that went into the Corvallis Audubon field notes
for August 2004:

"Two Blue Grouse wandered into Merlin & Elsie Eltzroth's yard on
Vineyard Mtn 26 Aug, spotted first by Aaron Poor as he was visiting. It
was the first time the Eltzroths have seen this species in their yard."

Good birding,
Joel

--
Joel Geier