[obol] Smith-Bybee

  • From: Andy Frank <andydfrank@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 14:22:48 -0700

Smith-Bybee today was packed with YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS.  It seemed like
there were some in every tree, with Audubon's outnumbering Myrtle's about
2:1.  I looked hard through them trying to find something different and
came up with a single ORANGE-CROWNED.

Hundreds of swallows were swarming over Bybee Lake with VIOLET-GREEN and
TREE predominating with much smaller numbers of BARN and CLIFF.

COMMON YELLOWTHROATS have arrived, and an AMERICAN ROBIN was feeding chicks
in the nest, but the biggest surprise was coming across this vole
http://andyfrank.blogspot.com/ on the paved path.  I believe it's a
GRAY-TAILED VOLE but welcome correction if I'm mistaken.  It was initially
about 10 feet away when I saw it.  I stopped and it proceeded to walk
literally within inches of my shoe.  Several other people came by and it
similarly showed no interest or fear in them.

Andy Frank