[obol] Seasonal RBA: probable Caspian Tern

  • From: Mike Patterson <celata@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'OBOL' <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, swalalahos <swalalahos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 12:10:44 -0800

While driving across the Youngs Bay bridge around 11:20, I saw a
large-ish tern flyby heading toward the Lewis and Clark River.
I couldn't pull over (safely) on the bridge and was therefore obliged to
go across and turn around at the round-a-bout. I saw it briefly on the
return while still driving, but was unable to relocate it once properly
parked.

The size and wing beat cadence best fit CASPIAN TERN.  It had fairly
uniform, plain gray upper wings and no noticeable duskiness underneath.

I can confidently rule out Common and Arctic.  I'm pretty sure I can
exclude Elegant.

Folks in the area show keep an eye out...

--
Mike Patterson
Astoria, OR