[obol] Say's Phoebe (Sauvie Is.), Ovenbird (Portland- YES)

  • From: Lee Cain <lcain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL Listserve <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 23:00:36 -0700

Today was a fine day for a drive. And I have been meaning to tick a
couple of birds that, despite me ignoring them all winter, were
supposedly still around.  So we combined the chase with a trip to
Portland area nurseries.

Two of my wife's favorites (Cistus and Blue Heron Herbary) are
conveniently located on Sauvie's Island.  So naturally our little red
car found its way out to Rentenaar Rd.  The Harris's Sparrow did NOT
make itself appear, but I was reasonably happy to see plenty of
SANDHILL CRANES and a tan-striped morph WHITE-THROATED SPARROW near
the sparrow spot and Dead Willow Rd..  I was intrigued by the tameness
of the White-crowned and Golden-crowned Sparrow flock that was there.
 Must be all the birders that have trained them.

The best part was a SAY'S PHOEBE that was flycatching from the
turnaround at the west end of the road.  Digiscoping a photo proved
unsuccessful -- as soon as I got set up, the bird decided flycatching
was a lot better WAY across the pasture.

So then it was on to the Garden Fever nursery in NE Portland, which is
conveniently not too far from certain NE Davis and 39th Streets.  Two
Song Sparrows were hopping around int he leaf litter of the house on
the NE end of Davis, near a water garden feature. The OVENBIRD popped
up in the rhodies between the two sparrows for all of three seconds,
about a meter away from me, and then a 5 year old boy went racing past
us down the sidewalk and that was that.  But I went home happy.
Someday that 5 year old may be in Peru tracking down a bird report who
knows.  He was a five year old after all.

--
Lee Cain
Astoria