[obol] Kalama, WA firsts

  • From: Amy Hill <artlessfun@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oregon Birding Online <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 22:16:51 -0700 (PDT)

Today was a day of firsts for me. At around midnight, a NORTHERN SAW-WHET OWL
(rare in Cowlitz County) was making his advertising song. I recorded it with my
iPod if anyone wants to hear it.

Shortly after dawn, our resident BROWN CREEPER began his seasonal “please give
me some more cheese” song.
While out for a quick walk in the ‘outback’ part of our property, I spied a
RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH excavating a new nesting hole in a dead part of a choke
cherry tree. She repeatedly disappeared into the hole and then stuck her head
out and dropped pieces of rotten wood onto the ground. I’ve never been lucky
enough to see this before, so it was an exciting moment for me.
Amy Hill
Kalama, WA
Cowlitz County
628 feet up